Sunday, July 6, 2014

This is the Jubilee Line Towards Cockfoster

London is fast-paced, hustle and bustle type city. Really, the more cities of the world you visit, the more they start mushing together in your brain. London is huge... in a way, it's just like Paris (the main differences being people are nicer, the food is not as good, and the road signs are in English), it takes forever to get from Point A to Point B, and distances that look "not that far from here" on a map, will leave you huffing and puffing 45 minutes later and wondering where your map led you astray.  

The second day in London, we knew we wanted to hit up the Borough Market and Hyde Park, so we set out on the 30-40 minute walk along the Thames to get to the open air market near the London Bridge. I really love markets like these - always look for them when you're travelling - it's such a great place to people watch and get a cheap and interesting meal. Anyone who read this from last year, might remember that Naschmarkt in Vienna and La Boqueria in Barcelona are very similar to this one. It started to rain while we were standing around eating some sandwiches; fortunately, the market is 98% under a roof, so if you're cool with wall to wall people fighting over French pastries and German pretzle buns, you'll love it. Eventually, you turn a corner and think that you smell a combination of vomit and stinky feet... then you realize you're next to the gourmet cheese stand.

 Nom nom nom


 The cheese!

GIANT meringue pastries

After the market, we hopped on the Tube to Hyde Park to walk around and see where Kate and William supposedly are constructing a new apartment within Kensington Palace. There is also a memorial for Princess Diana here. Other than that... there is not much in this area until you like scoping out seemingly un-affordable homes and apartments, or walking down a high end shopping district (believe it or not, I'm  NOT in a point in my travelling life where I can buy designer clothes and purses while abroad ;) I couldn't fit them in my backpack to bring home anyway).



After taking the Tube (by the way the title of this blog is a Tube line that I thought was funny) back to the Trafalgar Square area, we had dinner at a Mexican place that was recommended on our Hostel map. Food was delicious, service was awful... and I've been around Europe quite a bit now - so I like to think that I can understand the different between typical European restaurant service... and flat out BAD service. The place was called, Lupita, and I don't recommend it unless you're not very hungry, because by the time you get some service, you will be! 


On the final morning in London, we took the train out to the Natural History Museum (I may have mentioned that all the museums are free). It was fairly interesting; we definitely enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would call it a "must see" or anything like that. The outside of it was beautiful and the surrounding area is very nice - lots of outdoor cafes and coffee shops (you know I like those). 

My overall opinion of London is that it's just OK. Before you London lovers get all up in arms at me, let me just say that it's a really cool city, and if you really enjoy the hustle and bustle of big cities, than you'll probably enjoy it. I'll admit, I love the pub culture and the way people drink beer in the streets at happy hour after work. I also love their accents! Part of traveling is figuring out what kind of traveler you are, and I think Andy and I are beginning to figure out that we place a lot of value in culture and getting the real local experience. In bigger cities, it's more difficult to do that. Should I find myself in London again, I'll be staying at a bed and breakfast (or something like that) in a smaller neighborhood outside the busy center. For reference, it's like going to Chicago and staying in a high rise off Michigan avenue. While the experience is cool, you won't experience much local flavor or really get to do what Chicagoans actually do. Major cities of the world have something for everyone... the hard part is figuring out what experience is right for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment