Paris 1:20 PM
I
have finally managed to find time to blog when my body was not completely
exhausted. Currently I’m writing from the seat of a high speed train from Paris
(Gare du Nord) to Brussels (Midi). It
appears as if we’re moving at 200mph –cars on the highway appear still, and
even the landscape seems a blur. When I wake up in the morning I still can’t
believe where I am and what I’m doing. I suppose it’s a sort of “coming of age”
feeling. Anyways, today was a pleasant day in Paris. Marie, our bed and
breakfast owner, really seems to have warmed up to us. She greeted us warmly
this morning, and we had quite a long chat about Paris, culture, and food (my
favorite!). We quickly got ourselves
together and rushed off to the subway to make the trek to the train station
(ours being on the far north end of the city, whereas we’re located on the far
east end).
Paris
is really a gorgeous city. I am generally quite skeptical about touristy
places; but it truly is beautiful. After taking the subway and winding through
the Parisian streets (on the first warm and sunny day we’ve had in Paris) we
arrived at our station. While approaching the entranceway, a pair of young,
Turkish looking girls approached us, nicely asking if we spoke English. Being
discombobulated from thoughts of the grandeur of the station and destinations
beyond, I acknowledged them with a short “yes”. Normally I am prepared for such
circumstances, but these girls were quite convincing. They held up a ledger and
started asking questions to Becca and I individually, asking us to “sign their
petition for the blind and the deaf” in broken English. Naively thinking for a moment that it was in
fact a petition, I scribbled down some random information as they asked for a
“donation”, to which I promptly refused and beckoned Becca to leave.
This
sort of situation is very common in large tourist cities it seems. With my limited worldly travels, I
have come to the conclusion that I am overwhelmingly and unimaginably lucky for
the place I was born, the people I was born to, and the life I enjoy. Life
around the world is a struggle, and we really should not take for granted how
lucky we are.
Paris has been a
phenomenal experience. Our first night here I felt almost inhuman. Wandering
the streets in dire straits, asking random shopkeepers if they spoke English
and getting a cold and shrewd “no” before immediately going back to what they
were doing. In the United States I do not believe I have ever been received so
rudely. It seems there is a steep learning curve to life here. Barcelona was
very tourist-oriented, and so most people spoke English, and ALL signs were in
Spanish and English. Paris on the other hand is almost exclusively French, and
much more focused on the locals. There is very little English here save the
enormous tourist hubs. This was a bit of a shock for my presumptuous American
self, assuming most educated people in the world spoke at least some English. After
a bit of assimilation to the city though, our experiences took a 180 degree
turn.
The food is
fantastic. Even the cheapest breads and wines put most American breads and
wines to shame. The traffic, while being horrendous, goes out of its way to
yield to pedestrians. In Chicago you’re likely to get run down by a rogue taxi
if you don’t pay attention even when crossing with right of way. Public
transportation is superbly convenient. I do not believe we ever waited more
than 2 minutes for a subway train. Most came within seconds (and we took MANY
subway rides).
The subways in the
various cities have all been very efficient, but that’s not to say there’s no
confusion about them. Perhaps our biggest struggle on this trip has been
(obviously) finding our way from A to B. Initially we were quite timid and
reserved, but you learn quickly that you just have to try hard to bridge the
gaps in communication or you will never make it to your destination. Certain
funny rules and renovated stops make following simple maps, at times, nearly
impossible. When we exited our train from the airport in Paris to the city
center, we literally walked in circles in a flurry of people rushing all about.
We saw entrance after entrance to different lines, but no exits. Everyone was
rushing somewhere, but it seemed as though no one was leaving. It took us
awhile (and quite a bit of exacerbation) to realize that you actually have to
save your ticket stub and use it to EXIT the station. It almost feels like
stumbling around; “where is the subway, how do we buy tickets, oh it only
accepts coins….what direction are we facing, what street is this?” It’s all
overwhelming. My advice is to just stay calm and focus on the objective at
hand, one step at a time. We’ve gotten REALLY good at managing subways, trains,
buses, airports, and directions -albeit our horrible luck with delays and
breakdowns. You have to remember that everything will work out (even if it’s by
the skin of your teeth). All in all, it has been a wonderful and eye opening
experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment