2:00 PM Amsterdam
This
morning we purposely slept in and skipped the hostel breakfast. Once we were ready to go, we organized all
our dirty clothes into one bag and headed to the Laundromat (currently waiting
for our clothes to dry). It’s 5€ to wash
and 2€ to dry – it isn’t a bargain but it’s worth it. The machines only take
coins but in Europe the 1€ and 2€ coins are used generously.
Our
hostel has a kitty that just lives here and it’s currently hanging out in the
bar area sitting on the stools, and meowing for snacks. It’s a very social kitty! Our clothes are almost dry, though, so I will
have to finish this post later. Today we’re going to a few markets and a very
big park in the do-nothing-hang-out area marked on the map! Yesterday in the market there was a guy
selling antique figure skate blades that people tied to their shoes in old
times. Unfortunately I didn’t take any
pictures because there were signs everywhere saying NO PICTURES UNTIL YOU BUY!
So rude. But as Andy mentioned, an older
gentleman came up to us and pointed to a particular set of blades and then to a
nasty scar on his arm and said… playing hockey when I was 12! Too bad I didn’t have
any cool scars to show him… just stupid I-burned-myself-while-making-caramel scars
:P
Okay,
we’re back in the hostel again and it’s about 7 PM. We walked quite a bit today, south of the
hostel and the city center. We saw the same street performer with the 10ft unicycle and heard him tell a couple of the same jokes as yesterday... (Oh you're American?! I love Americans! I love their accents - instead of ore-gah-no it's oregano!) We went to
the Heineken brewery but it was 18€ per person for the “Heineken Experience”
which I presume is a brewery tour and beer tasting (sheesh, for 18€, that
better come with beer!), but we decided since we don’t even like Heineken that it wasn’t worth the
money. We’re really excited about the
beer in Germany! Along the canal, there
were a lot of green houses set up selling flowers, plants and LOTS of tulip
bulbs! The ceilings inside the greenhouses were completely covered with hanging
flowers – so beautiful. A couple streets
further, there was an open air market that was literally just the stores along that
particular street expanding their merchandise onto the sidewalks and streets in
a market fashion. You could walk along
this street and buy everything from clothes, to art, to toothpaste and shampoo
and frying pans.
At the
park, almost the entire lawn was covered with people picnicking! There were
kids everywhere throwing sticks in the water, chasing ducks and climbing
trees. Not a whole lot happened today,
honestly. Amsterdam has been really
chill! We had Mexican food for dinner –
we both love Mexican and it’s a LOT harder to find here! Tomorrow we have an early flight to Basel,
Switzerland, then a bus to the Basel train station and then a train to Lucerne. Our hostel in Lucerne should be similar to
this one (except we’ll have our own room! Woo!) and it’s two minutes walk to
the beach and 15 minutes from the famous bridge that we can’t wait to see :)
Short
post today but I didn’t want to bore you all! Next time I check in, I’ll be in
Switzerland!
No comments:
Post a Comment