Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Adventures Begin!


5/17/13 11:45 PM CST 

Welcome to our blog! The purpose is to keep family and friends up to date with our gallivanting, journal about this trip, and educate anyone who looks to travel to Europe on a tight budget (or any budget :P) in the future.
                Today we arrived at O’hare at 3PM for our 5:25 flight to Warsaw… after waiting in the longest line ever to check in, we realized that our flight was delayed by almost an hour and a half! So there’s a really good chance we’ll miss our connection to Barcelona and have to stay in Warsaw for a night…
                Here’s a little bit of backstory: We’re 23 and 24 and spending about 23 full days in Europe with backpacks that weigh less than 16lbs with all our things in them. As I type this, I’m watching the sun come up in the horizon; the Europe sun is greeting us! The whole idea of the trip started a year ago when we bought Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door 2012 because I (Becca) had a friend recommend it to me years ago. The book is an inspiration and makes trekking through Europe with almost no luggage seem easy! Soon after we carefully mapped out our rather ambitious plan to see Dublin, Barcelona, Lucern, Zurich, Munich, Venice, Vienna, Amsterdam and Oslo in 31 days. Convinced this was feasible in our $5500 budget, we went to a travel agent in Naperville who took one look at our itinerary and thought we were crazy.  Still, we thought it was manageable.
                In truth… it IS manageable, but around the beginning of spring semester (my last semester for my bachelors) we agreed to downscale the time frame, budget, and cities and stick to mainland Europe. The final itinerary for our adventure, in order, is Barcelona, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Lucern, Zurich, Munich, Salzberg and Vienna.  It’s still ambitious… but much more doable! We booked an “open-jaw” flight through a travel agent from Chicago to Barcelona and then Vienna back to Chicago for $1200 each. Because Andy was so busy this semester… I did 100% of the rest of the booking for the trip. Here’s what I have learned:
                A really great site to use is booking.com but sometimes they don’t have the biggest variety of places to stay in a budget. However, I found that in some cases booking.com was the best option. Another great site, for those who are looking for a more rustic feel and have a medium budget (say $100-$180 per night) is bednbreakfast.com.  I booked Paris through there and although I paid a little bit more than the budget, I think it’ll be worth it for the quaint feel.  Speaking of budget… the rough budget for rooms, that I was trying hard to stick to, was $30 each per night. In Barcelona we’re staying in a hostel with our own room and a shared bathroom for  exactly that!  I wasn’t so lucky in Amsterdam where we’ll be staying in a 32 person mixed dorm room and community bathrooms for the same price! My last advice on booking hostels and hotels would be to read the reviews.  Sometimes the hotels boast about how close they are to the city center and then you go read the reviews and more than one person complained about a 9 euro cab ride just to get to the subway to get downtown.  I also read reviews where people saw rats in rooms and other scary things!  Don’t judge a book by its cover and don’t judge a hostel just by its website.
                In Europe we’re flying twice… once from Barcelona to Paris and then again from Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland.  I did a bit of research and decided to book with Easyjet (again, read reviews!) for these flights and both were under $120 each. Actually… the flight from Amsterdam to Basel is only $60! Flying directly into Zurich is nearly impossible unless you want to pay $600 for Swiss Air, so we are flying to Basel and taking an hour train ride to Lucern.  The train passes we picked are Eurorail Select, 4 countries and 8 days of travel.  Since we’re still considered “youth” (18-26 I think) and we’re traveling together at all times, we got a bit of a discount at $440 each including rail insurance (if we lose them or they get stolen we’re totally covered… worth it for a $900+ investment!).
                As far as packing goes, we both have Osprey 30L (total volume) backpacks ($110, REI) that couldn’t weigh more than 7kg for carry on (that’s about 17.6 lbs!). We’ll definitely have to do laundry on this trip, as we only have enough clothes for maybe a week. We’ll also have to shop for things like toothpaste, shampoo, feminine supplies (ugh!), etc.  We also have 1 power adaptor (samsonite universal adaptor with usb plug - $30), camera and camera cord, ipods, Acer One Netbook ($250 on Newegg.com! 8 hours of battery life!), our phones (although we won’t use them much), mini padlocks for our bags, money belt, and that’s pretty much it J We both admit, the whole not-checking-bags thing is really convenient! Speaking of that… Since we weren’t planning on checking bags, I was super careful to read all the rules about carry-ons for this particular airline (LOT Polish Airlines) and that’s how I knew they couldn’t weigh more than 7kg! And yes… they actually did weigh them.  The poor family next to us in the check in counter had three bags for the hold and they were ALL over weight limits. The airline was going to have to charge them almost $150 extra for all the weight… in addition to fees to check bags in the first place! What a nightmare.
                Dinner on the place was pretty good… I was totally hoping for perogis (hello? Polish airlines?), but it was just chicken with mashed potatoes. Nevertheless, we were pleased to have it!  The good news is that I’ve barely left the country and I’ve already tried new beer.  I can’t type the name because it was in Polish but it tasted like Stella Artois and it was room temperature… (wait, am I in Malaysia?).
                Before we left Chicago, I checked the schedule for flights from Warsaw to Barcelona and it looked like they only had one every 24 hours or so. I’m really hoping we don’t miss our connection because it would be such a shame to lose that time we could have spent in Spain… if this current flight lands when the pilot said it would, we’ll have approximately 9 minutes to get to our gate for Spain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment